Thai: Agro&Food - China’s pig herd recovery hoofs along despite ASF resurgence
- ASF resurgence in northern China during 1H21
- Pig herd recovery underway led by large-scale pig farms
- Current pork price is close to CTI’s break-even point
We attribute the further drop in China’s live pig price (CNY16.2/kg as of Jun 7) to the increased output by large-scale producers and panic selling due to a resurgence of African Swine Fever (ASF) outbreaks and view it as negative for CPF, given its China pork unit (CTI)’s production cost of CNY15-16/kg. Despite the new ASF wave in China in 1H21, large-scale operators have been investing in new capacity. Though we have a bearish view on livestock sub-sector, we reiterate a BUY call on CPF due to its cheap valuation.
ASF resurgence in northern China during 1H21
Based on USDA’s GAIN (Global Agricultural Information Network) report titled China: Perspectives on the Feed and Swine Sectors on May 14, China has now experienced an ASF resurgence which has turned more serious especially in northern China, evidenced by 40% and 50% declines in the sow herds in Henan and Shandong, respectively. Henan is China’s third-biggest hog-producing province. The recent pork price tumble was due to producers selling their live pigs to reduce their risk of losses to ASF and selling them underweight. The latest ASF round will heavily impact small-scale pig farms, incurring losses from lower pork prices and higher feed costs. In contrast, large well-capitalized firms will continue to invest to expand their pork market share. Some have decided to increase investments during this round.
- 1 Strategy Note/Global Peru election: Leftist Castillo 'wins'– implications for bonds, equities, copper
- 2 Strategy Note/Vietnam The ultimate guide to Vietnam fintech
- 3 Macro Analysis/Global Central bank monetisation raises risk of inflation and currency crisis
- 4 Weekend Reading/El Salvador Why Facebook and CBDC could be real winners from El Salvador’s Bitcoin embrace
- 5 Strategy Note/Philippines Philippines after Duterte: 2022 presidential election hopefuls
This publication is being distributed by Tellimer solely for information purposes irrespective of a particular user's means, financial situation or investment objectives. The information does not con...